For specific flu shot ingredients, see our “What Ingredients Are In the Flu Shot?” post.
The World Health Organization recently announced the strains that will be used in the flu vaccine for the 2016-2017 flu season. On February 25, the Vaccine and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee voted to use the strains noted below, which include two updated strains of the influenza virus.
- A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
- A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus;
- B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus.
- In addition to the 3 strains mentioned above-
- B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus
The influenza vaccine virus strains selected by the WHO for the 2016-2017 northern hemisphere influenza season were chosen with the goals of offering the broadest possible coverage and making the vaccine more effective than the 2016 vaccine was.